Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Catching up

My intention is to post on here everyday, but sometimes life gets in the way. And I'm not exactly famous for my consistency in anything. But here I am.

I'm really upset about the mess our country is in right now. And what upsets me more is the way people are sleepwalking through it. Or being complacent about it. Or, like my mom, simply saying, "I can't worry about it because I can't do anything about it."

What's wrong with me that I can't numb out about it? What's wrong with me that I have to keep speaking, and talking and wondering what I CAN do? Why does it matter so much to me? It doesn't seem to matter to most people. Maybe I should make myself a martini shakerful and sit down in front of a video game or the Lifetime channel and then I won't FEEL, I won't FEEL...

Anyway.

Burned 600 calories at the gym this morning. Grateful that my foot felt good enough for me to do that. Grateful that I had my iPod with me and could listen to some wonderful tunes. So here's the morning music that fueled my workout:

1) That thing by Daft Punk that you'd recognize if you heard it...but I can't think of the name of it right now. Followed by that thing by Underworld that you'd recognize if you heard it.

2) A series of songs from Achtung Baby: "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World" "Mysterious Ways" "Until the End of the World" and the unparalleled "Even Better Than the Real Thing", which, although one of my most favorite songs ever, is a song I should never listen to, for reasons that I will keep to myself.

3) Elvis Costello's "What's So Funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding" followed (shuffle must read my mood) by Sixousie and the Banshees' "Cities in Dust", "History Repeating" by the Propellerheads, and Living Colour's "Cult of Personality." GRRRRR

4) And on a lighter note, there was Prince's "Kiss" and Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It".

Anyway. I'm off to grab some lunch and some office time, then back to the classroom for another round with the fun kids.

"Indifference is a trait that makes even the angels weep."--Cornel West
"Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"-- Me

No comments: